9.30.2008

the One with All the Good Music


So, I have a new favorite singer/songwriter at the moment who is AWESOME!! (Sorry, Brandi Carlile, you're still my favorite, but you never come visit me!) Her name is Missy Higgins, I discovered her about a year ago right before I left for Mexico, but I rekindled an interest when she opened for the Indigo Girls here in Atlanta. A couple of weekends ago, I visited my fellow musical enthusiast and lifelong best friend, Danielle Rapkowicz, who introduced me to a new song from Missy called "The Special Two." I love it. I listen to it all the time. And, a lot of times, a song resonates with me because it has some sort of theme that rings true in my life, or it reminds me of an experience I had. But the theme of this song has no real common thread with my life, it's just a beautiful, heartfelt, honest, and very raw storytelling of 2 people dealing with a bad decision and the guilt that comes with it....but also of the hope that they will be those "special two" standing together in the end. Like I said......nowhere near what my life is like or has ever been like! But, I am in love with the song. In the musically world where the #1 song on the chart talks about 2 girls makin out or slappin the crap out of your Ho when she does you wrong, or pretty much anything that Kanye West does (bluh).....it's nice to see that there are still truly gifted songwriters who can move me with their lyrics, and inspire me with their music. Where are the Carly Simons? The Patty Griffins? The John Denvers? The Johnny Cash's of the music world? They exist in the songwriters like Missy Higgins, and Brandi Carlile, and Foy Vance. They are still here, and they are only just beginning! So, listen to "The Special Two" by Missy whenever you get a quiet moment, and just listen to the words and her voice. You won't be dissappointed. And while you're in the mood....."Turpentine" by Brandi Carlile and "First of July" by Foy Vance. Enjoy!


2 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

thanks for the shoutout. google just added a hit on my name. i'm up to five now.

October 1, 2008 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger B.Bird said...

I am soooooooooooo impressed with your music critique!!! And that writing!! Where did you learn all that??? Could it be that we didn't waste our money sending you to that expensive bubble college????? :) Now, don't get mad that I commented--I was bored with Dancing with the Stars and just happened on your new blog. Love ya--MOM

October 6, 2008 at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home