2.14.2010

I'm Sorry, Dunkin Donuts

It's that time of year again. The time to commit myself to cruel and unusual punishment through a voluntary fast lasting 40 days and 40 nights- AKA: Lent. Previous fasts have included soda, chocolate, meat, and chocolate again. (Abstaining from chocolate has only been accomplished 1 out of the 2 times it was attempted. Again I'm sorry, Jesus!)
This year, I have considered a few options of what I could either give up or begin doing for the 40 day period before Easter: television (insert gasp of shock here), diet coke, chocolate (again), make a commitment to exercise 3x/week. After much thought about what was both achievable and sacrificial, I have decided to limit myself to 1 cup of coffee per day with no other caffeinated beverages the rest of the day. So, no diet coke, no sweet tea, etc. Only 1 mug of coffee each morning, if at all. Maybe I should just give up caffeine altogether, but with 8am class on Saturday mornings, I just can't. Like I said, it has to be achievable, and I highly doubt that I'm ready to go cold turkey on this one.
There are a couple of reasons for this decision. One being that I'm getting worried about how much my hands shake if I haven't had my daily intake of coffee....that's a bad sign. It makes me feel out of control of my body, and I really hate sitting in panera with the shakes as I pick up a fork to eat my pumpkin muffies! Another reason is so that I will no longer have to endure caffeine headaches after I have weened myself off of it. My addiction has only grown since I began drinking coffee, and I had gone up to as much as 4 cups a day. Not good.
So, that's what I'm giving up for Lent. Hopefully after the 40 ays are up, I will be able to continue my coffee limit. And next year, I think I'm going to actually give up television. The only reason I didn't give that up this year was for 1 simple thing: the final season of LOST! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home